Thursday, April 19, 2012

BBQ Marinated Tofu samich with slaw and radish sprouts


I have been feeling a bit uninspired on the food front, I just hate it when that happens. We have been eating out a bit more lately than we did the previous couple months. I feel like I'm getting my groove back though. This one was a real winner, although, if I had it to do over again, I would give the marinade more time to soak up. We were super hungry and in a hurry to get dinner on the table so it was only in the marinate for maybe 2 hours. I would say 4-5 is minimum. I was craving BBQ and this hit the spot.

Tofu BBQ Marinate
1 Cup Braggs Cider Vinegar
1/4 Cup Canola Oil
2 Tbs. Honey
Squirt of Sriracha Sauce
Chili Powder, Cumin, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Salt & Pepper

Wrap Tofu in Paper towels and squeeze and press the water out. Cut tofu into 1/2 inch slices laying them on paper towels and cover with paper towels to blot off remaining water. Pour Marinate into shallow baking dish and lay sliced tofu on top. After 1-2 hours in marinate flip tofu pieces.  After 4-5 hours to overnight in the marinate fry in hot oil till dark brown on both sides.

Slaw
2 Cups shredded Cabbage
2 Shredded Carrots
Handful of diced Snap Peas
2 Sliced and chopped Scallions
Toss with about 1/2 cup of the marinate from tofu

I served this on Daves Awesome Bread, but it would have been lovely on some homemade Whole Wheat buns as well. The Radish Sprouts really gave it a nice spicy crunch and acted in place of lettuce. I also sliced up a couple potatoes and dusted them with flour and spices. Then baked them in a 425 degree oven for about 15 minutes. This was my take on a BBQ Samich with fries. It was a good healthy alternative that I will be making again for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment