Tuesday, April 3, 2012

mediterranean Inspiration


I borrowed this recipe from a friends blog, http://veggielowcarb.wordpress.com/2012/03/29/cauliflower-falafel-goodness/. She makes some lovely low carb vegetarian food, thanks Kristin Stout! These are Cauliflower Falafels, and man are they awesome! They are super easy to make and can be served on a salad or in pita. I ate them with a shmear of hummus and some romaine lettuce in a Whole Wheat Pita Pocket. I was out of cucumbers but I usually would have some of those in my Pocket also!

Cauliflower Falafel
1 Cup Raw Cauliflower Florets, pulsed in the food processor 5-6 times. You want gravel size chunks here.
2 Tbs. Tahini
1/2 Cup raw almonds(I also threw in some pine nuts I needed to use up) Also pulsed in the food processor. Maybe a little smaller than gravel size for the nuts.
1 Tbs. Each Ground Cumin and Coriander
1 Clove Garlic
2 Tbs. Fresh chopped Parsley(I also had some oregano coming up in the garden so I chopped some of that up and tossed it in too!)
Salt and Pepper
2 Eggs
3 Tbs. Flour

Toss processed cauliflower and nuts in a bowl. Add spices and toss to coat. Add Tahini and eggs and mix thoroughly. Add in Flour and Fresh Herbs and mix well. Heat up a frying pan with enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan(around 350 degrees). Drop in Tbs. size balls into the hot oil. fry on each side 3-4 minutes.

Hummus
1-1/2 Cup Soaked Chickpeas
1 Large Clove of Garlic
3 Tbs. Tahini
The juice of 3 med. size Lemons
1/4 Cup Olive oil
1/4 Cup water
Salt and Pepper

I cook my chickpeas and garlic together. I love the taste of fresh garlic, but it kills my stomach. I have found that it doesn't hurt me if I cook it, and it deposits HUGE flavor into the beans when cooked together. So cook beans and garlic until the beans are nice and soft. Drain and add to the food processor. Add Tahini, Lemon Juice and oil and pulse a few times. Add water a little at a time until you get the consistency you want. Add Salt and Pepper to taste. This is such versatile stuff! Use as a veggie dip and in place of mayo on sandwiches. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment